Project Description

Being a looked after child or a care leaver can make you feel confused, isolated and not sure who to turn to for support.

If you are looked after in foster care, a residential unit or by another family member there are people who should be supporting you. These include your Social Worker and Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO). If you are a care leaver, or soon to leave care, then your Personal Adviser is there to help.

If you are unhappy with the service the Council has given you, you have a right to complain. We do our best to and resolve problems quickly and fairly. Email or call 01225 718400.

Mind Of My Own

The Mind of My Own app is for you to download and use to communicate with people in the team. You can choose who you communicate with on Mind Of My Own – it’s easy to use and really useful. If you are worried about something, like a meeting that is coming up, or if you want to complain about something you can use Mind Of My Own or you can contact our advocacy service. Advocacy is when a specially trained person, who is there just for you, helps you to get your voice heard. For more information, visit

When you come into care at Wiltshire Council (FAQs)

When you come into care there is usually a meeting with your foster carer, your social worker, your family and you to agree how you will be cared for. The meeting will discuss things like bedtimes, coming in times, pocket money and when you will see your family

Your social worker’s job is to help you move into care, explain why you are in care, and to work out a care plan with you and your family. This might include the court if it is involved.

Your social worker must visit you while you live in care, in your foster placement or children’s home. They must see you within the first week of coming into care and then every six weeks.

You can ask for your social worker to visit you more often if you need to see him or her. Your social worker should make sure that you are seen alone and that your wishes and feelings about where you are living and your care plan are known and understood.

Your social worker should make sure that you can see your family and other important people and they should contact your school to let them know what is happening and to arrange a meeting to discuss your education.

Your social worker should also arrange for you to have a health check.

You will be given a Reviewing Officer (RO) who will meet you and run your reviews. They are independent of the social work team and their job is to make sure that your plan is right and that everyone is doing what they are asked to do.

Living in Care (FAQs)

Sometimes you can live with a family member or friend who can be approved as your foster carer.

Foster carers are ordinary people who have been specially chosen and trained to care for young people who are not able to live with their own families. When you live in foster care you live in the carer’s home and they look after you.

There are many different types of foster carers – some live on their own, others have their own children.

All foster carers are there to make you feel comfortable and will give you the help and support you need.

Being in foster care can last a short or a long time. How long you stay will depend on what is best for you. No matter how long you are in foster care it is normal to miss your family and friends and even your pets. You can usually stay in contact with your family and friends – you can write to them, send text messages, telephone them, or visit them (unless there is a particular reason why you can’t).

If you are in a children’s home you will live with other young people who are also in care. You will be cared for by a team of friendly staff, but you will have a named person sometimes called a ‘key worker’ who will be your allocated worker and will be your special link person.

Moving into care can feel scary. Having to live with people you do not know a lot about is hard. You should have the chance to visit your foster carers or children’s home before you move in.
If this happens it is called a planned placement move. You should be given some information about the foster carers, or a ‘profile’ of them. You should ask your social worker for this.

You may have come into care without any time to plan and this is called an emergency placement. It may be the case that you stay in your emergency placement only a few days or weeks before a planned placement can be found for you.

If you have committed an offence the court can, in some special circumstances, place you into the care of the local authority.